If your garbage disposal won’t turn on, consider to try these tutorials below to fix it before call the technician. Majority of the times, the cause of the issues is capability overestimation.
If you dont know, a garburator or garbage disposal is a great tool to help you dispose food waste or leftover. They typically have long durability, but as any other device, it doesn’t mean it is not prone to some issues.
Table of Contents
Garbage Disposal Won’t Turn on No Sound
Do you find you garbage disposal won’t turn on and there is no audible humming sound of its motor? If the answer is yes, there is probably some electrical problems inside.
Follow these steps to get it back on track:
- Check if the unit is plugged in when the garbage disposal won’t turn on. It might sound obvious, but the report data shows that the most common problem source that picked up by the customer service is failure in plugging the appliance.
- If the unit is already plugged in, reach from the bottom part of it and press the reset button. It is a red button with function of built-in circuit breaker.
- If the button is slightly tumbled, it might be popped out a little bit. Push it back to reset your garburator.
- If the step using reset button above doesn’t gain success, check if the circuit breaker is tumbled by checking main service panel. If you find so, simply reset the lever of circuit breaker.
- If both solutions above do not work, there is possibility of wiring problem of the garburator’s switch control, or the error of the unit itself.
- Find the switch control of you unit. It might be placed under the sink or on the wall.
- Turn off the circuit breaker of the disposal circuit at the main service panel.
- Detach the unit’s switch control. Check the wire connection because it is possible that the cause of this issue is loose connection. If so, all you have to do is securing the wire connections.
- If you have tightened the wire connections but the problem persists, try to replace the switch.
- Turn on your disposal unit
If there is still no audible sound and your garbage disposal won’t turn on, it means you need to replace the unit because it is beyond repaired.
Garbage Disposal Won’t Turn on Just Hums
Another type of issue is having your garbage disposal won’t turn off or on, but there is a sound if the switch is flipped on. The inner flywheel might be jammed inside, causing the circuit breaker to trip or reset button to pop.
Read also : How to Reset a Garbage Disposal
Read how to fix this issue in the following guide:
- Turn the unit off by shutting the circuit breaker at the main service panel. Turn off the wall switch as well.
- Take the unit’s offset wrench to get into the flywheel at the bottom part of the garburator. If you don’t have those, you can use any wrench that sold on the hardware store.
- Once the wrench reaches the flywheel, turn it clockwise to dislodge it. The flywheel will turn freely if it has dislodged.
- You may use wooden spoon handle or similar object to reach the flywheel of disposal unit by the drain opening.
- Check the unit by using flashlight. If you find the common culprits such as food waste or dinnerware pieces, remove them from the appliance.
- Press the reset button in red color on the bottom part of the unit.
- Run water into the unit and flip the switch quickly on and off, in order to spin flywheel and washed down the debris into the drain.
Garbage Disposal Turning on but Not Working
Due to how common issues related to a garburator is, it is easy to find similar garbage disposal problems and solutions to yours. The tutorial below will show you how to fix a disposal unit that’s not working even though it is already turned on or if the garbage disposal won’t turn on.
- Check the switch to make sure that the garbage disposal unit of yours is already on the “OFF” position.
- Press the reset red button of the disposal unit, located at the bottom part. If the button is retracted or does not stay in, wait around five to ten minutes and try to press the reset button function again.
- Turn off your water to wash through the unit. Turn the switch of your garbage disposal unit to “ON” position.
- Check if the disposal is working normally now.
- If the reset button of your garbage disposal unit is still retracted, or you have reset the unit repeatedly but still have not achieved the desired result, there is possibility that your unit needs service from professional technician.
If you have done all of the tutorial above but still your garbage disposal won’t turn on, the inner part or the motor might be already damaged. Pay a visit to your local technician to find out the best solution for your unit