The leaking issue of a garbage disposal unit usually goes undetected until you started to notice audible dripping noise, rotten-smelling puddle, or scrutiny sopping cabinet. Finding the cause of the leak problem in order to fix it can be frustrating, because the leak can originate from various components in the system.
Luckily, there is a way to repair the leak on your own if you have investigated the exact leak source location and the cause.
Worst can happen is if turns out that you have to replace the unit and installing a new one. In the meantime, read about how to fix a garbage disposal leak detail below.
Table of Contents
How to Fix a Garbage Disposal Leak
First thing you need to observe in case of leaking disposal unit is the gasket. Gasket is the top rim part with rubber. Doing gasket replacement is easy – all you have to do is purchase the replacement gasket in your local hardware store.
Here are the steps on how to fix a garbage disposal leak due to the gasket issue.
- Disengage the drain and then took the cord of your disposal unit off. Remove the drain hose as well if you have dishwasher.
- Unlock the device by capture the sides of mounting nut and rotate it counter-clockwise. When the unit drop down, move it entirely but still close enough so you are able to see the rubber gasket while fixing it.
- Replace the old gasket by a new one. Make sure that the new gasket is installed securely at the lips and stay flat.
- Pick up your garburator unit from the sink to check if it’s positioned flat before locking it back into the place securely.
- Inspect if the three mounting grooves are locked in tightly.
- Last step on how to fix a garbage disposal leak, is to connect the drain back again, plug the cord and check if there is still any leak happening.
Garbage Disposal Leak from the Bottom
If there is leak from the bottom part of your garburator unit, the cause is most likely to be the garbage disposal itself. There is possibility of busted seal in the internal part that wear out due to the usage or over time.
The only possible way on how to fix a garbage disposal leak from the bottom unfortunately is to get a new unit. Doing replacement of the garburator is probably your best bet, unless your old unit is still under warranty because the fixing is near impossible at this point.
Garbage Disposal is Leaking from the Bottom
Even though it is hard to notice leak until there is formed foul puddle under the sink, there are plenty of solutions available if you can notice before the garbage disposal leak from the bottom problem becomes larger.
The first step you can do, which is the most important, is to determine where the leak is taking place. Finding where it’s occurring might be as simple as observing the sink component often.
Doing this independent troubleshooting can save you cost before you replace the entire unit.
Garbage Disposal Leaking from Reset Button
If you find the garbage disposal leaking from bottom screw, there is a possibility of issue with the reset button. It is especially common if the system is fairly old.
You may want to invest into the new replacement, instead of spending out the money to fix it and find out there will be another problem within couple of months.
Read also : How to Reset a Garbage Disposal
If your unit is quite new, however, having it repaired might be a better choice. It is also a good thing to do if the unit is under warranty. Ask the company or technician about how to fix a garbage disposal leak and prevent the issue in the future