Fan belongs to a list of must-have appliances for a lot of homeowners out there. It is an effective device that helps to keep the space inside home at cool and comfortable temperature.
Some people even cannot have optimal sleep without the help of fan. However, due to some circumstances, you might need to take it down. If you want to know how to do it, here are several step-by-step tutorials on how to remove a ceiling fan.
Table of Contents
How to Remove a Ceiling Fan
You might need a helpful guide on how to remove a ceiling fan and replace with a light, clean it after, or fixing error part. Whichever your reason is, there are some essential tools you need to prepare such as ladder, Allen key, or screwdriver.
Follow the steps below to get done with the process:
- Switch the electrical power in the main breaker panel.
- Step on the ladder. First you have to release the canopy that enclosing mounting bracket. Use the screwdriver or Allen key to do so. Put the canopy down after you have successfully unscrewed it.
- It is an optional step, but it’s better to check that there’s no electrical power that’s currently running. Use voltage tester to do so.
- Release the wire and wire nuts. To avoid unwanted accidents when the power is back, bring the wire nuts on the wires after you have removed them.
- Keep the fan in your hand tightly then slip the ball from mounting bracket on the upper part of fan pole.
- The next step on how to remove a ceiling fan is to put the fan on the ground carefully.
- Unscrew the mounting bracket that typically attached by double screws to the electrical box. Then release the bracket. Bring back the screws in the electrical box so they won’t lost next time you need them.
How to Remove a Hunter Ceiling Fan
Hunter fans are known for their diverse styles that match with any interior design. Here are the steps on how to remove a ceiling fan from Hunter brand that has canopy trim:
- Turn off any electrical power that supplied the room, to prevent and make sure you won’t get electro shocked during the fan’s uninstallation process.
- Reach out the Hunter fan’s canopy trim ring by climbing ladder.
- Carefully unscrew any light bulbs that attached into the fan and release them.
- Look for the tab indicators by feeling the trim ring of canopy.
- By using your fingers, press the trim ring to the left and right button on tab indicators. Then release it.
How to Remove a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan
Hampton Bay ceiling fans are quite challenging to remove compared to majority of other ceiling fan models. It is because they have concealed screws and is relatively heavy. Regardless of the difficulty, here are the steps on how to remove ceiling fan cover with hidden screws:
- Switch off the electrical power to ceiling fan on main breaker to prevent any accident. It is also advisable to switch off the entire wall switches as safety measurements
- Remove the screws that secure fan’s blade arms to the room’s ceiling by using a screwdriver.
- Remove the screws that attach the mounting bracket that are attached to the ceiling into electrical box by using drill and screwdriver.
- Check the wires conditions.
- Release the wire nuts that secured the wires.
- The last step on how to remove a ceiling fan is to release the fan carefully and put it down.
How to Remove a Ceiling Fan with a Downrod
Sometimes, ceiling fan comes with downrod, which is a metal pipe that connects mounting brackets with motor housing. Here are the steps on how to remove a ceiling fan that has downrod.
- Turn the electrical powers that supply the ceiling fan.
- Remove the canopy.
- Release the wire nuts by using screwdriver.
- Carefully remove the fan and put it down.
- Remove the pin and clip that secure the downrod to its place.
- Release the mounting bracket by unscrewing it and remove from ceiling.
As mentioned in prior, there are plenty of different reasons that make you need to remove fan – whether it is for maintenance, cleaning, or replacement reasons.
It is better to have understanding of your fan mechanism first, before you learn and practice several guides on how to remove a ceiling fan above.