Eliminating the texture of a popcorn roof can be, to a lesser extent an errand with the correct devices and procedures. You can likewise save a satisfactory measure of cash on the off chance that you intend to do it without anyone’s help. This article depicts the best possible strategies needed to eliminate popcorn texture, just as setting up the roof for a new surface or smooth completion.
How to Remove Popcorn Ceiling Texture? (Residential)
Table of Contents
Required devices and materials:
- Eye assurance resembles security glasses.
- Residue veil
- Siphon shower bottle: This is typically found in the grass and nursery part of your nearby home improvement store. ($ 15-30 for every unit)
- Plastic sheeting: Apply over floors and furniture as essential ($ 10-30)
- An 8-inch or 10-inch drywall glue blade: Located in the drywall part of your home improvement store.
- ($ 4-7 USD each).
- A lightweight drywall compound (typically in a case and prepared for use out of the container):
- It’s situated in the drywall segment of your home improvement store. ($ 5 to $ 9)
Eliminate popcorn tissue:
Stage 1 – Place plastic sheeting on all floors and furniture and cover all doors to help keep dust from spreading. This is a dusty and muddled venture. Regardless of the number of plastic sheets you lay or hang in gateways, the residue will even now go through the house. Thus, you will likely contain however much as could reasonably be expected. It is enthusiastically suggested that you eliminate however much furnishings and assets as could reasonably be expected from the work region as it will be presented to tidy.
Stage 2 – Fill the siphon sprayer with water and splash the roof, beginning at a 6 x 6 region. Allow the water to splash into the texture for a few minutes. Note: if the roof is painted with a semi-shine or polished paint, showering water on it won’t work legitimately and won’t have the option to enter the texture. For this situation, you should dry however much of the texture as could reasonably be expected and drift (or a skimmed layer) the whole roof with a drywall earth compound to streamline it.
Stage 3 – After the popcorn’s consistency has consumed the water, utilize an 8-inch or 10-inch drywall blade, scratch the surface, and let it tumble to the ground on the plastic sheeting. All weaving may not prove to be fruitful. This is ordinary. In any case, you should have the option to eliminate the vast majority of them.
Stage 4 – Once all or the greater part of the texture has been eliminated, utilize a drywall blade and some lightweight drywall joints segments to extend a far layer (1/16 inch to 1/8 inch) over any harsh spots or regions on the roof that may require leveling. Permit the compound to dry, which may take a few hours to 24 hours, contingent upon its thickness just as the room temperature. The colder the climate, the more drawn out the dry spell will last.
Stage 5 – Once the drywall compound has totally dried, smooth out all zones where you applied the compound. Apply extra covers that are skimmed and sanded as fundamental for a smooth completion.
Stage 6 – You can leave the roof delicate after you finish the skim covers and begin painting. Or, on the other hand, you can have the rooftop done by an expert. I suggest you have an expert assume responsibility from here as it requires distinctive texture shower hardware (for example, blower, texture container, material firearm) and somebody who has experience showering or applying surfaces.
Wellbeing first: Please note that there are some security concerns while accomplishing this work.
1) Some drywall mud and surfaces introduced in structures that worked before 1980 may contain asbestos, and structures that worked before 1978 may contain paint containing lead. Eliminating the popcorn roof texture establishes a dusty workplace, and when you eliminate the roof texture, lead and asbestos will be delivered into the air. It would be ideal if you counsel your nearby authorized temporary worker and asbestos control contract-based worker before beginning work for testing and/or moderation.
2) For additional inquiries identified with the presentation to lead, it would be ideal if you audit the “Restoration of Right” booklet given by the EPA.
3) The residue veil doesn’t qualify as affirmed PPE while eliminating drywall mud and/or surfaces containing lead and asbestos.
4) Additionally, don’t endeavor to eliminate the popcorn tissue if there are little youngsters, pregnant ladies, or living in the home if lead and/or asbestos is a worry.