Super glue is a type of adhesive with powerful and easy-to-use quality. It works well with glass material, even with numerous applications. However, this fixative has one disadvantage: it can leave a mess when it gets stuck to the glass surface.
Removing super glue from glass can be a bit tricky, but there are a few methods you can try. Remember that different glass surfaces might react differently to these methods, so it’s a good idea to test a small, inconspicuous area first.
Here are a few great ways to remove super glue from the glass with the correct materials and methods.
How to Remove Super Glue from Glass Surface Using Acetone
In case you find a trace of super glue on some spots it’s not intended to be, avoid chiseling them away because it may damage your glass. Follow this guide on removing super glue from glass using the acetone below.
- Prepare acetone. This chemical liquid works wonderfully to soften and remove hard adhesives such as super glue. It is commonly found in household cleaners or nail polish removers. Look for the ingredients label on the product to be sure.
- Dip fabric on it. Find a soft cloth or rag and apply acetone to it. Press the fabric on the area you want to clean, and then let it sit for a while. Acetone will work its way to loosen up the glue’s hold. Keep in the note that most liquid that contains acetone can stain several types of fabric materials, so you need to be careful.
- Use a razor blade to remove the super glue. You can peel the softened glue away starting from the rim of it. If the glue hasn’t softened yet, apply acetone to the surface. Make the glue comes off slowly instead of forcing it. After completion, use clean fabric to wipe the glass.
Read also: How to Clean Frosted Glass in Light Fixtures
How to Remove Super Glue from Glass Surface Using Toothpaste
Toothpaste is an easy-to-find material that safe to use both on the glass and plastic surface – even for glass lenses because it won’t damage the coating layer. If you are unsure about using toothpaste, you may want to test it first on a small part and see if it causes any damage.
In this tutorial on removing super glue from glasses with toothpaste, you may use plain white toothpaste, even the gel one. Follow the steps written below to do it correctly:
- Prepare warm water, toothpaste, and fabric. Be careful not to use toothpaste containing ‘micro scrubbers because it may scratch sensitive types of glass.
- Rub warm water on the glue stain.
- Put the toothpaste over the glue and then rub gently with the fabric to remove it.
How to Remove Super Glue from Glass Table
Removing super glue traces can be a challenge and sticky work. For the glass table, you may use acetone, as mentioned in previous points. However, you need to pay attention to the following things below:
- Never scratch the glue with nails, as it may damage and ruin your nails.
- Be cautious when using sharp objects such as razors or knives. They may cause scratches if they slipped and hit the glass surface.
- Use acetone as little as possible. There is no need to use the whole bottle of acetone to remove the stain. Besides, you may risk drying your skin as it is an alcohol-based product.
- Handle all materials and chemicals carefully. Ensure you prevent spillage by being as careful as possible while working.
Glue trace is actually a hard mess that’s easy to solve. It can be cleaned easily using the simple method to remove super glue from the glass above if you do it carefully and correctly.
Commercial super glue removers are available in the market specifically designed to dissolve and remove super glue from various surfaces. Follow the instructions on the product carefully and ensure it’s safe for use on glass.